In 1953, James Thompson Elementary School began as a two-room annex to Grauer Elementary School, in a rural area, situated on part of the original Thompson farm.
The current building, including an addition in 1991, is in a residential area, serving families residing in homes to #1 road in the south, the Dyke to the north, Railway Ave. to the East and Granville to the South. We are thankful for this place on the traditional territory of the First Peoples of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ language group, close to the water and rich in nature, that provides us with so many learning opportunities to nurture our bodies, minds and hearts.
We have approximately 210 students from Kindergarten to Grade Seven and the building also hosts the Discovery Montesorri School and the Strong Start program for young children. Thompson Tigers pride themselves in being active participants in many school and district - based activities such as track and field, basketball and volleyball, choir, band, chess club, craft club and school service. Educators and students are curious learners, eager to develop their knowledge and skills, especially through the Core Competencies of thinking, communicating and personal and social awareness
We believe that effective communication is crucial to building and maintaining a positive working relationship between home and school. The parents and caregivers at Thompson Elementary are supportive and active partners in learning.
Thompson prides itself on being a welcoming school with a strong sense of community. Our motto “Thinking, Learning and Caring” is a strong part of school culture. Social relationships are nurtured and a strong sense of social responsibility is supported through a school wide STRIPE matrix.
Please see Our Focus and Our Learning tabs for detailed updates of our school’s current learning story.